We hope that you're doing well and staying safe!
As every month, we’d like to share again this time the latest news of the Nextcloud land!
Nextcloud software updates have been made available for the server and Desktop, iOS plus Android clients. Nextcloud Conference 2020 is coming this time online; we introduced our new project: the Nextcloud podcast; US Cloud services are fundamentally incompatible with EU Privacy laws based on the ECJ ruling this month. As every year, Nextcloud is nominated again for the CloudComputing Insiders Award and is leaving iCloud, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox and Google drive behind in other contests.
Server: 19.0.1, 18.0.7 and 17.0.8 are here
- The latest and greatest, Nextcloud Hub v19, was released in June and now we've made available the first updates to it.
- Updates have been made available also for Nextcloud 17 and 18. Check out here for more information on all the minor releases - 19.0.1, 18.0.7 and 17.0.8.
- Nextcloud 16 is no longer supported. If you are running Nextcloud 16 or older you are strongly urged to upgrade! Of course, we understand that sometimes companies have to use older versions. If that is the case for you, Nextcloud offers long term support. Contact our sales team for more information.
As we are still excited to have made the latest and greatest Nextcloud available for download, here's a reminder on the new features it brought:
- Password-less authentication and many other security measures
- Talk 9 with built-in office document editing courtesy of Collabora, a grid view & more
- MUCH improved performance, Deck integration in Calendar, guest account groups and more!
Read the full announcement here or click the image and check out the video introduction for a quick overview!
Apps: Nextcloud Mail
Nextcloud Mail 1.4 was released introducing Machine Learning for Priority Inbox. Read the full announcement here to find out how is this protecting your privacy!
Desktop Client 2.6.5 and 2.7 beta 3 are now available – time to update and help test!
- Support for sharing to Circles and a lot of smaller bugfixes
- Covering Dark Mode in MacOS
- Some proxy handling improvements and proper permissions display for shares
- Click the links above to find out more about these two :)
A new major release for the Nextcloud iOS client was made available along with the iOS 14 launch!
Nextcloud Coherence, v3.0, for iOS brings:
- A new built-in PDF viewer
- Live photo support
- A new curated view for media files
- A new built-in image viewer
- An integrated quick look for files
- Delete from camera roll
- Easy move or copy files and folders
- Privacy and security looking good too
- A modern look for the users and endless UI improvements
- Many more fixes and refinements
Updates have been brought to Android users of Nextcloud as well! Don't miss the Nextcloud 3.12.0 new features followed up by 3.12.1 with many small fixes and cool tips for getting the most out of your Nextcloud.
- Circle support for searching or displaying
- Use ONLYOFFICE/Collabora/Text when no offline editor is available
- Set expiration date on user/group shares (NC18+)
- Improved loading view
- Disable rich workspaces
- More fixes and improvements
Nextcloud Conference 2020
Maybe it’s not possible to meet this year in person and hardly anything can replace it, but let’s still hang out, work, learn, meet new people, and have some fun virtually all together!
Nextcloud Conference is coming online and the next edition will happen on October 3-4, 2020. Find out more about the conference here and keep in mind that call for talk proposals is now open!
Introducing the Nextcloud Podcast!
We’re very excited to announce a new project: a regular Nextcloud podcast to talk about Digital Sovereignty, self-hosting, privacy and more!
- Our first podcast episode is about the history of Nextcloud, design, community and more!
- The second (and last till now) is a conversation with our designer. What is design and how do we handle design at Nextcloud? How to collaborate and what tools to use?
Check out all episodes on our podcast page and subscribe!
ECJ rules US Cloud services fundamentally incompatible with EU Privacy laws
The US "culture of surveillance" received a major EU push back, with the European Court of Justice ruling against the legitimacy of the EU's Standard Contractual Clauses as a way of transferring data to legal regimes outside of the Union.
As a consequence, US cloud services are not GDPR compliant! Here's our example of cloud service GDPR compliance.
Read the full article to see what this means for businesses!
Outlook Add-in news: name change, new release and 4 versions
The Sendent Outlook Add-in enables Nextcloud customers to easily and securely send files, folders or upload links to others from within Microsoft Outlook. The Add-in can replace attachments, automatically uploading files to Nextcloud and insert a secure link in the email. It also makes it easy for users to provide others with a secure file upload link.
A major new version of the Sendent Outlook Add-in for Nextcloud has been made available. The new release introduces a complete redesign of the user interface and a server app to configure a variety of settings. With it comes a name change of our partner to Sendent as well as a differentiation of the product in four versions. Here's all you need to know about the changes!
Contests & Awards
Nextcloud made it to the first spot of all subcategories in Euro am Sonntag contest and won the title of the “Most popular provider” by the renowned German Magazine’s rating!
Now we are looking forward to the CloudComputing-Insider Award results, where we are nominated again in the category FileSharing & Collaboration!
Of course, we're counting on you! Vote for Nextcloud so we make it to the first spot together this year!
Share your opinion and inspire others to liberate their data!
Of course, your opinion matters! We need your feedback to improve the product for all of our users and we need your help to spread the word about Nextcloud.
We're new on TrustRadius! We would really appreciate it if you could leave a review there, so other people that are looking in that platform, learn about us. What’s the best thing about Nextcloud so far?
Sign in and share your thoughts!
Thank you for reading!
Note that there is always more happening in the Nextcloud ecosystem! You can follow the latest news on our blog.
If you are maintaining a mission-critical Nextcloud system for your enterprise, it is highly recommended that you get yourself some insurance (and job security... who gets blamed if the file handling system isn't working as expected?). A hotline to the core Nextcloud developers is the best guarantee for reliable service for your users, and the job safety of you as a system administrator.
If you would like to receive more Nextcloud news regularly subscribe to our mailing lists (Nextcloud conference newsletter, release announcements) and keep an eye on our Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin profile.
The Nextcloud team